So I was watching VH1 storytellers with John Mayer last night. I Love/Hate John Mayer. He was singing Your Body is a Wonderland, so I quickly changed the channel when he started singing. That is the John Mayer music that I hate, but thats a discussion for a whole other time. He was talking about how he wrote the song, and he compared the process to his first love. He said that when he was writing this song, he tried to compare it to nothing. He wanted the song to stand alone as a piece of art, rather than come at it from a familiar angle. He played the riff over and over for hours so that there was only the riff. It had shed all context except it's inception. It existed only in that creative moment, and held no relationship to any other music. He wrote the song about his first girlfriend, and he also approached the song like he approached that initial relationship. He had no other relationship to compare it to since it was his first, so there was only what they had together.
Now, I don't think that he had really purely shed all musical context, but I really like the idea, and hearing him describe the creative process adds to that part of John Mayer that I love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment